Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My first Marin county ride.





After being sick for seven days, I was so looking forward to my first Marin county ride on Saturday. My friend and I met at the Embarcadero and started our ride from there. We stopped for photo shots at Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, the top of the Marin headlands and Sausalito. We had some coffee and pastry in Sausalito before continuing on with our ride.





We rode through so many towns I've never been to before: Ross, San Anselmo, Olema. The temperature was just right and the sun shone brightly.

There were times during the ride when I found myself extremely surprised to have to shift into my small chainring. Seriously, where did those hills come from??? Looking at the road ahead, it didn't seem like an ascending road but it sure as hell was!

By the time we got to Stinson Beach, I was ready for some serious fuel! I chowed down on a vegetarian wrap, a yogurt, OJ, and a soy latte with a double shot. I was good to go again.

Forward and onward to Mt. Tam. Although I'm 95% recovered from my flu/cold, I still have some blocked airways because I found myself coughing during the climbs. Still, listening to U2 tunes and looking at the beautiful views kept me motivated. We didn't climb to the top of Mt. Tam because it was getting late. Plus, this was only my 2nd long ride of the year and I'm slowly building up my endurance pace. Next time, though, I'm going to the top!




The descent from Mt. Tam is awesome! The road is smooth and the turns transition nicely.

We were back in SF at 7 p.m. just in time to watch my friend's capoeira group perform in that little park in North Beach. Having cooled down from our ride, we got cold pretty quickly but managed to borrow some jackets while we joined the roda and watched the capoeristas.

It was an awesome day!

Oh yeah, measurements:
QUADS: 56 CM (DAMN ILLNESS!)
CALVES: 38 CM
BICEPS: 27 CM

7 comments:

MoMoneyHoney said...

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better! Sounds like you had an awesome day.

ps- Rey's bib over jersey combo is a helluva fashion statement! =)

Carol G said...

I know, I was going to mention something when I first saw him but I chalked it up to the fact that he's a Brazilian triathlete. After a while, I just forgot that he was wearing a bib over jersey combo.

I'm looking forward to doing more long rides. I really need to work on my endurance fitness!

MoMoneyHoney said...

haha, yes the Brazilian fact is the only thing that excuses his California fashion mishap. I need to do long rides, too, so invite me next time! I miss you and can't wait to ride with you soon =)

place_holder said...

that brazilian genius bib over jersey is very practical by the way. he can powder his nose quicker than anyone else in the conventional bib under jersey. did he know that there are back pockets on the jersey?

Carol G said...

Morgan: I'll definitely invite you on our next long ride. By the way, are you free to do the next Beat the Clock TT on May 24?

Twinkie: I'm pretty sure he knows his jersey has back pockets but, now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing him reach for his back pockets. Hmmm, that would have been curious to watch. Considering the flack I've been getting from my cycling friends, I think I owe it to him to tell him about his cycling fashion faux pas. Then, at least, he can make an informed choice about whether to wear his bibs under or over his jersey. ;-)

~ lauren said...

ha! that's the first thing i noticed when i saw your new pics of flickr - the bib staps.

are you ready for some ROLLER RACING this weekend!?

Carol G said...

Hell yeah! I'm ready to spin my ass off!!! I'll bring my camera and hopefully we'll have some cheering friends who could take our pics. This is gonna be fun!