Monday, March 31, 2008

Climbing & Sprinting 500 Meters




On Saturday morning, Morgan, Laura and I decided to go on a ride. Originally, our plan was to ride to Diablo's summit. Unfortunately, I woke up with a case of the runs so we postponed our ride until 11 a.m. Given our time constraints at this point, we decided to skip Diablo and do the three bears. So, off we went: Broadway Terrace, Tunnel, Grizzly Peak, Toyonal.






When we were done descending Toyonal, Morgan informed us that she wasn't feeling well. She offered Laura and I directions to do the three bears loop but, given that Laura and I are not good with directions, we decided to skip it and climb back home via Wild Cat, Shasta, Grizzly Peak. Although this was a short ride, there was a good deal of climbing involved. And, turning left onto Shasta in the wrong gear really sucks! Nonetheless, I was glad to get some riding in before our Gold Sprints.

Although Beth had explained to us how the Gold Sprints worked, I was still very curious to see how this event would play out. Although I could see how much suffering the riders that preceeded me had to endure, I still was unsure what kind of pain was in store for me. Well, I found out soon enough! The first 15 seconds felt bearable but, after that, it was pure hell! Seconds never felt like such an eternity!










Being the numbers-oriented person, I wrote down the TO women's finishing times:

Beth: 21:59 in the first heat and 21: 60 in the winner takes all heat
Me: 25:49 (two women tied for first with a time of 24:89)
Laura: 26:34 (winner in her heat won with 24:44)
Lauren: Unfortunately, this was the one time neither I nor the official time keeper wrote down but the winner in Lauren's heat won with a time of 23:82.

This short effort shot my heart rate up to 171 and made my legs feel like friggin' rubber immediately afterwards. Still, I had a great time and I'm so proud of Beth's win. You rock, Beth!!!!


1 comment:

beth bikes! said...

you should eat more chips. they make you quick.