Sunday, February 10, 2008

Birthdays Rock!




This year I decided to celebrate my birthday celebrity-style and make it a multiple-day event so I made plans for Thursday through Sunday. On Thursday, I met up with some friends at a Cuban restaurant and enjoyed a few drinks with them. On Friday, my best friends took me out for Thai dinner and a movie. On Saturday, I spent the day shopping with friends before hitting the town in the evening.

My friends and I were originally going to have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. However, when we learned that the wait for a table was going to be an hour and forty-five minutes, we decided to skip it and look elsewhere. We didn't know where we were going to end up eating but we were confident that we would still have a good dining experience. We happened to walk by Farallon, an upscale French-inspired seafood restaurant and decided, what the hell, let's splurge and eat at Farallon's.

Despite not having reservations, we were seated fairly quickly. We enjoyed lobster claws, scallops, striped bass, truffle soup, chocolate cake and a bottle of pinot noir. The meal was absolutely fabulous! We happened to mention to our waiter that we were celebrating my birthday and, before we knew it, he brought out three miniature sorbet dishes for us (mine had Happy Birthday written in chocolate). We were happy campers when we left Farallon.






We decided to hit an Irish bar for lemon drop shots before heading over to the dance club. By the time we arrived at the club, we were in super-duper spirits.

This particular club we went to was once a speakeasy and it has a slide that you can go down on to enter the club. Unfortunately, I was wearing a skirt and was not allowed to go down the slide (apparently, you go down the slide so fast you can get body burns if you're exposing too much skin.) However, my friends Jessie and Katie did get to experience going down the slide. Despite getting burned on her arm while going down the slide (she forgot to tuck in her elbows), Jessie had a blast going down the slide, as did Katie. (Next time, I'm wearing pants so I can go down the slide, damn it!)




The music was pumping and the drinks began flowing. We danced, drank, and frolicked for a few hours before cabbing back to Katie's apartment. Despite having gotten blitzed, I surprisingly did not wake up with a hangover. (I guess taking two advils before drinking to oblivion does keep hangovers at bay.) I looked like shit but I at least didn't feel like it.



I made it home in time to shower, eat and unwind before heading back into the city for a 90-minute massage. Ahhh, what a perfect ending to an awesome birthday weekend!

---------------------------------------------

Before I forget, it's measurements time again:

BICEPS: 28 CM
QUADS: 57 CM (up 1 cm...woo-hoo!
CALVES: 37 CM

8 comments:

Chris said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great time.

Carol G said...

Thank you. Yeah, it was one of my best birthdays yet. :-)

place_holder said...

happy b-day!

farallon is a much much better choice.

Carol G said...

Thank you. :-)

Yes, I'm glad we went to Farallon instead.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

Now get back on the wagon and get training because race season is here! ;-)

Carol G said...

No kidding! I've put on some pounds, much to my dismay. Hopefully, I'll have dropped a few lbs. before the Beat the Clock TT on 3/15.

~ lauren said...

hey! happy b-day!

thank you for inviting me on thursday and i'm sorry i never responded! that was such a nice gesture.

sounds like you guys had a great time. yay for birthday weeks!

Carol G said...

No worries, Lauren. Hope to see you on a ride soon.