Friday, February 15, 2008

An awesome Valentine's Day ride with some bad-ass ladies


So, Valentines Day started out kinda crappy for me. I felt really sluggish during the day. The one thing I looked forward to was the interval ride with Beth and the other gals. If there's one thing that can distract me from a crappy mood it's a bike workout!

Morgan met me in front of my building and we rode over to the port. We did a warm-up lap and had a nice chat. As we finished our first lap, we saw Beth heading our way. As the three of us rode alongside, Beth proceeded to explain to us what her interval plan was and Morgan and I decided to do it with her. Before we got started on our intervals, who do we see riding in the opposite direction but bad-ass racer, Karla K. Yay!

Although Karla was doing her own tempo ride, she observed our forms on our bikes as we began our intervals. If I remember correctly, it was two 6 minute intervals at a moderate tempo (for me that was at a 165'ish hr) with a 4 minute rest, then we did 10 second sprints with 50 second rests ( can't remember how long we did that for). I'm sure there was a 3rd interval set but I can't remember what it was. In any case, we got some good work in and some great tips from Coach Karla. She suggested that, during off-the-saddle sprints, we shift into a harder gear, keep our upper body still, and maneuver the bike side to side. I practiced Karla's sprint tip a few times and felt like I had a better handle of the bike while at the same time making it go faster. Awesome!

After our training was over, we decided to grab a post-ride dinner. Morgan already had dinner plans so Beth, Karla and I headed over to What the Pho? for some Vietnamese food. We talked about some of our favorite subjects: food, boys, and sex. It was the best Valentine's Day dinner I've had in a long time.

Measurements:
BICEPS: 28 CM
QUADS: 57 CM
CALVES 37 CM

5 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a Thursday night ride?
You know I'm going to be grilling you now about this "someone". :)

V day was long day at work, dinner with the folks, and some trainer time.

Carol G said...

Ha! No worries, I'll give you the scoop on the mystery person.

Hope you at least enjoyed some good chocolate on V Day.

Laura said...

Sorry I missed that! Hope it'll happen again...

MoMoneyHoney said...

it was a great Valentine's for me, too! Kept my my mind off of Clint being out of town =( Hoping to ride again this Thursday if it doesn't rain...

karla said...

Yeah, that was a fun night! As Beth said, my bike is my best, most reliable date if I want to have a good time. Throw in some girlfriends, and you're guaranteed a fun evening!