Saturday, January 19, 2008

Measurements, workouts, and food




As Michiko has pointed out, I've been remiss in posting my measurements. Not only will I post my quad & calve measurements but I will add my biceps because I'm doing muay thai training and I'm interested in seeing my arms becoming more developed.

Quads: 56 cm (damn it, when will they get to 59 cms???)
Calves: 37 cm (my jump roping should keep this number from decreasing)
Biceps: 28 cm (hmmm, I wonder what an average size is for women)

As much as I enjoy riding my bike, I like mixing up my workouts. I've now discovered the awesomeness of muay thai (thai boxing). Known as the art of the eight limbs, muay thai involves usage of the hands, shins, elbows, and knees.

When I first began my muay thai training, I tired quickly during my jump rope warm ups. My trainer had me do three sets of two-minute intervals with forty second breaks in between each set. By the time I was done with each set, I was breathing and sweating profusely. As the weeks progressed, jump roping became easier. I can now do six minutes nonstop. (My next goal will be to do cool tricks with the rope. ;-) I also noticed that I was hitting harder, as evidenced by my bruised hands.





I'll continue working one-on-one with my trainer until I find a martial arts school that's within my budget and my neighborhood.

As far as my food intake, I've been reading about the raw food diet. While it makes sense to me, I don't see myself eating a 100% raw food diet. (What can I say, I love wine, coffee and dining out.) However, I am trying to eat more raw meals. Instead of eating Trader Joe's frozen organic enchiladas at lunch, I'll eat fruit, vegetables, pumpkin seeds, and/or almonds. I need to be careful, though, because a lot of these foods are high in calories (e.g., avocados, nuts, etc.) My goal is to get stronger and slimmer, we'll see how these next few weeks pan out with my diet shift.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Those are nasty bruises. What do they have you doing, punching concrete to toughen up your knuckles?? :)

Carol G said...

I'm sure concrete comes after wood boards but before marble slabs. ;-)

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

ouch! I hope you have a job where they understand bruised hands.